Thursday, November 26, 2009

URBAN DECAY

This work involves discarded, rusty, objects, as well as natural materials such as shells, fossils, and semi-precious stones. It addresses the conflict between humankind and the natural world. I am interested in exploring aesthetic judgments: are they objective, subjective; and should the intent of the artist, and/or the reaction of the viewer be a considered in determining these judgments. The rough cement adhesive I use becomes part of the composition, and serves as a metaphor for questioning the beauty of manmade materials. The found objects I incorporate into my work symbolize the detritus of our culture, suggesting that our insatiable appetites for consumerism cannot continue inexorably without having tremendous consequences on our planet. I use found wood as the substrate for my work, because it inspires me and carries the spirit of the tree from whence it came.



No comments: