Tuesday, November 29, 2011

GONE......But not Forgotten

 Cynthia Monica

I shot this image a few years back in downtown Portland, on Second Street, one of my favorite parts of town.  It had recently rained,  the sun was glimmering off the cars and big rain drops looked like sparkling diamonds.  And, to top it off, there was the mural of Bob Marley!   The composition and the elements of  the black building and the mural,  the red building next door with the funky yellow and red windows, the cars, and the shimmering drops made this one of my favorite personal shots.

You may know where this story is heading... a few days ago I was walking down Second Street expecting to see Bob, and to my utter dismay, the mural had been painted over....what a loss...what a disappointment.....Second Street will never be the same....



9 comments:

Caterina Giglio said...

oh... what a shame... so good you have the photo... xx

Numinosity said...

Oh my, that would have been a sad shock. So glad that you captured the great shot and shared it with us.
xoxo Kim

Carole Reid said...

Oh my gosh! Why?

Barry said...

CM- what a pity that such a fine mural piece is lost; but such a treasure you have both in photo and the memory - that spot will never be painted over for you. Go well. B

Mise said...

Maybe you could knock on the door and offer to paint them something ever better instead, to become a part of the streetscape?

Laura Tringali Holmes said...

Murals come and go where I live (around New York City), and while I love the transitions, I hate the transitions. The best and worst of times. I really like your photo of how it was. :)

Willy. said...

No woman no cry is still there...
From a real fan,Willy

P.S. Good reaction from mise....

layers said...

too bad.. but change happens.. and you have an image and your memories.

ArtPropelled said...

Great image! You must be chuffed that you captured this moment.

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas Cynthia and I hope your new year is filled with new ideas and glorious paintings.