Wednesday, April 28, 2010

EMERGE #3

This is a piece from my Emerge Series.  The title is reflective of my journey, as with this series I returned to my love of working in the abstract.  The work is spontaneous, as I began by laying down one central element, in this case, the large yellow stones, then let the materials guide me as I proceeded to place each subsequent piece, and color shape/section.  The small pieces are smalti which I painstakingly cut into as many thin "slices" as I can; then using tweezers, I place each slice on end in thinset.
 
In the close-up you can get a better idea of the materials, and the texture created by using the smalti in this manner.  This piece also reflects my love of bold and vivid colors.  Coral is also used in the work, along with glass beads, and the yellow stones are known as African Jade.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always have a unique and recognizable color palette and sense of composition. This new piece is luscious! I feel a kinship with you because we both like to use non-standard tesserae, or even standard tess in new ways. I learn a lot every time I look at one of your pieces.

Elaine Prunty said...

wow ,lovely work cynthia, that really is vividly colourful, beautiful texture and dimension too .
I've haven't used smalti much in my work ...
a friend if off to ravenna in september to do their smalti course, I might like to do that one day

Cynthia Monica said...

Thanks Lynn and Elaine for your kind comments!